War News: Latest Articles at Long War Journal, by Bill Roggio et al

Check out the latest round-up of milblog & web reports on the War on Terror

Friday, February 1, 2008

Lone Survivor: An Inspiring Story

I got this book, Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of Seal Team 10, as a Christmas gift from my sister.

I'd read Froggy's posts here and here (now linked among the Blackfive.net archive of "Someones You Should Know" posts) shortly after the events of June-July 2005 and had made a mental note to add the expected book to my reading list when it came out.

I was reminded that I hadn't read it yet in October of last year when Lt Michael Patrick Murphy was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

Not long after the New Year, I stayed up all night to finish reading the whole story.

**Tissue alert**! as we Angels like to say. As I continually grabbed for extra kleenex, I laughed as a vignette from the book came to mind, "Hydrate!" the Afghani said. Leak enough and you have to put down the book and get a glass of water. Or two. And be forewarned, have your tissues handy even for the introduction. I started this book on the plane from Texas back to DC and had to put it away -- I might have worried the flight attendants....

ANYWAY.

It's a heartwrenching story, made truly readable because we have Marcus to cheer for.

Leading Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell offers a priceless gift by telling his team's story. It's his tribute to those who couldn't make it back, but it's also a story every American should know. While it may be okay that a small percentage of citizens go into battle to defend the rest of us, I think we have some responsibility to understand how they train and what they are prepared to do on our behalf. They are a credit to everything for which our country stands. If you doubt that, read the book.

Kudos to co-author Patrick Robinson; thanks for whatever assistance you provided in getting this story down on paper.

No comments: